08 July, 2011

Fresh from the Oven


If you thought I did a lot of baking last week, boy are you in for a treat this week! This week I hosted a mini baby shower for one of my Irish friends, so I made a plethora of yummy treats for the girls! I also made a trip to Midleton, and anytime I'm invited to someone's house, I HAVE to bake something! I think it's rude to show up empty handed, so I baked something to take along!

I started off with banana bread, I had a hankering for it and it had to be dealt with! The bread was incredibly moist and delicious, and since the bread is made with oil instead of butter it's a great option for anyone with a milk/lactose allergy.

I also decided to make Rachel Allen's Raspberry & White Chocolate brownies, which are completely amazing! (My mouth is watering just thinking about them) I melted some dark chocolate over a double boiler, added the normal baking ingredients, baking powder, flour, eggs etc. Then I folded in loads of white chocolate buttons and fresh raspberries and poured it into an 8"x8"x2" pan, and popped them in the oven. While they were baking (and for a few hours afterwards) the house smelled of delicious homemade chocolatey goodness!





I finished the day off with Coffee & Walnut cupcakes. These cupcakes are absolutely gorgeous (provided you like coffee LOL) and they are always appreciated by my friends, (and occasionally pub regulars at Abbott's Ale House.) The cakes start out like any other cake, but the  chopped walnuts give the cakes a bit of of crunchy texture, and then you get the flavor and zing of the coffee. The icing is a creamy blend of butter, icing sugar, and instant coffee.




On Wednesday I made a quick journey to Midleton, and since I knew there would be children present, I decided to make chocolate chip cookies. What kid doesn't like plain old chocolate chip cookies? I mean come on it's a no brainer. I used my favorite recipe, which just happens to be from Martha Stewart. The cookies are chewy and chocolatey. The blend of muscavado and granulated sugar gives extra depth of flavor and keep the cookies soft even after they are cooled! I added semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate buttons (about 50/50) just to make them a little more interesting and delicious!


Last weekend I heard that there were plans for a bbq this weekend so as soon as I get the word I'll be making my favorite Irish Threesome cupcakes (aka Boozy Irish Cupcakes.) And now it's time for recipes

Banana Bread (recipe from my PINK Better Homes & Gardens cookbook)



Ingredients:

  • 250g plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 400g mashed bananas (about 5 medium bananas)
  • 250g sugar
  • 125ml oil
  • 60g chopped walnuts


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease bottom and sides of one 9"x5"x3" (or two 7 1/2"x3 1/2"x2") loaf pan(s); set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture at once to flour mixture, stir until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in Nuts, Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
  3. Bake at 180 degrees C for 55 to 60 minutes (or 40 to 45 minutes for 7 1/2"x3 1/2"x2" loaf pans), or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning). Cool in a pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Raspberry & White Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • 150g butter
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 150g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 225g white chocolate buttons
  • 125g raspberries
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line 8" square baking tin with greaseproof paper and grease the base and sides.
  2. In a large bowl over simmering water melt dark chocolate and butter. Stir in sugar and gradually add eggs, Add sifted flour and baking powder followed by 125g of white chocolate and the raspberries.
  3. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until just firm on top. Remove from oven and let sit in the tin for another 30 minutes before cutting into squares
  4. Melt the remaining white chocolate buttons in a bowl over simmering water and drizzle over brownies, decorate with raspberries.
Coffee & Walnut Cupcakes (Now I have no idea who this recipe belongs to, all I know is that a friend gave it to me, no idea where she got it from)

Ingredients:

  • 120g butter, softened
  • 60g caster sugar
  • 50 g light muscavado sugar
  • 2 lg eggs
  • 120g self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water, cooled (you can add more or less coffee but it should be dissolved in 1 tbsp of water)
  • 50g chopped walnuts (again you can add more if you want)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line muffin tin with paper baking cups.
  2. Cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), add eggs one at a time with a little flour to stop curdling. Add coffee mixture. Fold in flour and chopped walnuts.
  3. Fill baking cups 3/4 full and bake at 180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
  4. Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire rack and prepare icing
Coffee Icing:

Ingredients:
  • 100-120g butter, softened
  • 225-260g icing sugar, sifted
  • 1 heaped tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water, cooled
  • walnut halves (about 12 pretty ones)
Method:
  1. Combine butter and icing sugar with a fork, then switch to an electric mixer, beat until mixture is light and fluffy and has turned pale in color.
  2. Add cooled coffee mixture and beat to combine. 
  3. Ice cupcakes and top with walnut halves.

Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe by Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:
  • 280g plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 60g granulated sugar
  • 125g light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 lg eggs
  • 250g chocolate chips

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. 
  2. In a small bowl, sift together flour and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine butter and both sugars. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes) reduce speed to low, add salt, vanilla  and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
  4. Add flour mixture, mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips
  5. Drop heaping spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
  6. Bake until golden around the edges and soft in the middle, about 8-10 minutes.
  7. Cool on a wire rack

1 comment:

  1. I am so filing the "coffee cake" recipe away for down the road, when I don't have you around making tasty treats and I have to do it myself! Thanks again for all they lovely goodies on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete