30 June, 2011

Cloudy...with a Chance of Meatballs


So I don’t know how other families are, but in my family the biggest argument (EVERYDAY) always started with “What do you want for dinner?” So when I got married and moved away, I decided NOT to have that argument ever! So on this cloudy Irish morning when I woke up without a dinner plan…I panicked a bit! I rushed into the kitchen desperately searching for something to throw together. I found some whole wheat spaghetti, two cartons of tomato passata, and 500g of turkey mince. Suddenly it was clear: Spaghetti Bolognese and Meatballs! I opened the cartons of passata and dumped it into the slow cooker, and added all of the ingredients listed in my grandma’s spaghetti sauce recipe, and a few of my own. Next step was the meatballs. Now, I have never made meatballs before…but I figured I watch enough Food Network to pull it off. I knew the general ingredients, and how to assemble them. I started with garlic, bread crumbs and tons of herbs. I mixed the meat with the herbed bread crumbs, and rolled it into meaty balls of deliciousness.

I sautéed the meatballs in a bit of oil until they were golden brown and fragrant, and removed them to a baking tin lined with kitchen towels. After they cooled enough to handle, I placed them into the bubbling tomato hot tub. I let the sauce and the meatballs cook for about 7 hours on low heat, and served over whole wheat spaghetti with freshly grated parmesan cheese and garlic bread. Now since I only cook for two, I placed the remaining meatballs and sauce into freezer bags so the next time I wake up without a dinner plan, I have a lovely supply of frozen pasta sauce and meatballs.




  • 500g Turkey Mince
  • 6 cloves garlic (I REALLY love garlic)
  • 75g fresh bread crumbs
  • 75g freshly grated parmesan 
  • 2-3 garlic Italian herb blend
  • 1g onion granules
  • 1g thyme
  • 2-3g parsley
  • 1g rosemary
  • 1g oregano
  • 2-3g basil
  • 2-3g smoked paprika
  • 40g butter, melted
  • 50ml water
  • 1 lg egg
  • 3-4 tbsp oil (for sautéing)

Method:
  1. Mince garlic and place into a large bowl, add breadcrumbs, cheese, and all herbs, add in melted butter and stir to coat evenly.
  2. Add turkey mince, egg, and water. Using clean hands gently combine the meat and the bread crumb mixture.
  3. Pinch of small bits of meat and roll gently into 1" balls, place on a tray until all of the meatballs are mad
  4. Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat, when the oil starts rippling, add about 1/3 of the meatballs to the pan and brown them on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Once the meatballs are browned remove from the heat and drain excess oil on a kitchen towel.
  5. After all of the meatballs have been browned, allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes and add them to the pasta sauce.

2 comments:

  1. That is soooo weird, i totally just made spaghetti and meatballs on wednesday, and put over a dozen extra in a freezer bag for some day i don't feel like cookin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmm. Do you have any Italian in your heritage? The max herbs and bread crumbs equal tastiness and texture! I will try your meatball recipe, Mandy.

    ReplyDelete