04 July, 2011

Our Recipe for a Successful Marriage

One of the great things about being married is that you share responsibilities with your partner! This week my adorable husband decided he was going to make me dinner. Of course this doesn’t happen very often, he has a few dishes that he is in charge of, usually grilled cheese, because for some reason his just taste better than mine, and what he calls ‘Nathan’s Gourmet Mac’n’Cheese’ (although he uses penne or fusilli pasta so it isn’t really mac…but that’s just a detail.) So last night of course he wanted to make his mac’n’cheese, which was fine by me, because it meant I didn’t have to cook, but if you know me now you probably realize that I have a passion for all things culinary, so I really can’t just hand over my kitchen and sit on the sidelines, and honestly what’s better than cooking with your honey? In my opinion not much!
Since we have moved to Ireland, my husband has developed a taste (and love) for cheese, Dutch Smoked Gouda is his favorite, but he loves ANYTHING smoked usually. So our fridge is usually fully stocked with assorted varieties of cheese (I gotta make sure my man is happy!) Last night we had a selection of mature Irish Coloured and white cheddar, white cheddar with peppercorns, white cheddar with Irish Whiskey, (are you noticing an Irish theme here?) Dutch smoked Gouda, Dutch Edam, parmesan, and singles (aka ‘American’ cheese.)


We assumed our roles, him as the (stand-in) head chef and me as his sous chef, and we started cooking up a cheesy storm! Now the whole recipe actually started earlier in the day when I prepared the grilled chicken and the rashers (bacon). I started by lightly seasoning the chicken, olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and a bit of smoked paprika, Then I grilled them for about 8-10 minutes each side (I am PARANOID about under-cooked chicken.) Meanwhile, I placed the rashers on a baking rack over a parchment lined tin. I baked the rashers for about 20 minutes on about 180 degrees C, turning them halfway. When the bacon and the chicken were finished, I removed them to a small plate and let them cool. Once they were cooled, I diced the 
meat and put it in the fridge until we were ready to add them. After that we started on the sauce and put the water on for the pasta. He started by making a roux, and heating the milk. After cooking the roux for a few minutes, he added the milk, and then we (by we I mean I LOL) tempered an egg and added it to the mixture. When it had cooked for a few minutes, it was time to get crazy with the cheese!! Now he has a very particular order in which he adds the cheese, (probably because he's an engineer...and they tend to have exact 'logical' ways of doing things.) He begins by adding the singles (processed American cheese). Then the Dutch Edam, Dutch Smoked Gouda, any other random cheese we have lying around, and then both red and white cheddar and stir until most of the chunks of cheese have melted into a lovely pale pool of cheesy goodness. By this time, the pasta should be done, and your sous chef (aka me) should have drained it. He added the diced chicken and the rashers to the sauce and stirred briefly, then I poured in the noodles and he stirred until the cheese was evenly distributed. Then we poured the cheesy noodles into an 8"x8"x2" baking dish, covered with seasoned (and buttered) bread crumbs, and we baked it until it was golden and delicious! 

Here's his special recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 30g butter
  • 15g plain flour
  • 500 ml milk
  • 1 lg egg
  • 5-10g dried powdered mustard
  • 5g smoked paprika
  • 5g pepper
  • 2-3g salt
  • 4 slices of (American) Singles
  • 60g Dutch Smoked Gouda
  • 120g Dutch Edam
  • 240g mature red cheddar
  • 240g mature white cheddar
  • 250g Penne or Fusilli pasta (or pasta of your choice)
  • 150g bread crumbs 
  • 60g parmesan cheese
  • 200g Rashers (bacon)
  • 250g boneless skinless chicken breast
  • Assorted herbs/spices to season bread crumbs
Method:

  1. Season chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley and grill over medium-high heat for about 8-10 minutes per side. Meanwhile, place rashers on a baking rack over a parchment lined tray and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
  2. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Bring water to a boil for pasta. Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate saucepan over medium-low heat, when butter is melted add the flour and the powdered mustard, and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, meanwhile pour milk into a heatproof jug and warm in the microwave for a few minutes. When the milk is hot, add it to the butter mixture. Lightly beat the egg and temper it with about 200ml of the warm milk mixture, whisk constantly and add the egg mixture back into the pan. Add paprika, pepper, and salt. Let the mixture thicken for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
  3. After the sauce has started to thicken, add the cheeses, and stir until the cheeses melt, then add the cooked rashers and chicken and stir until combined. Mix in the drained pasta.
  4. In a small bowl, melt 15g of the butter, add bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese, season with any herbs you like.
  5. Butter/spray an 8"x8"x2" baking dish and pour in the cheesy pasta, and top with the seasoned bread crumbs. 
  6. Bake at 220 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden and crispy.

1 comment:

  1. such a gourmet mac n cheese. I'll have to try it. I've never used smoky flavours in mine! and I'll have to substitute for American singles...can't get them here! But we have plenty of Edam!!!!
    I like your acceptance of one another's strengths!

    ReplyDelete